Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Favorite TV Show Characters

I'm surprised it took me this long to do this, but I never actually made a list of my all-time favorite TV show characters. I'll probably keep updating this as I find more characters I really like, but for now, here's the list:

  • Liz Lemon (30 Rock) - Even with the absurdity of most of the cast, I found the straight-woman Liz to be the best character of the bunch. She's a big loser who despises her job, and I find that makes her incredibly real.
  • Dr Perry Cox (Scrubs) - 90% of the time, Dr Cox is a hilariously bitter curmudgeon who takes down JD in increasingly spectacular ways. The other 10%, he lets his guard down and reveals he actually cares about his patients and colleagues, and the results are equally spectacular.
  • Faith Lehane (Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel) - In her debut season she's a great foil for Buffy and strong antagonist, but Faith really comes into her own during her redemption arcs in Angel.
  • Walter White (Breaking Bad) - Everyone's talked about Walt's character arc ad infinitium, but there really was never a more natural and well-executed descent into evil. At least, unless you think he was always Heisenberg.  
  • Niles Crane (Frasier) - Niles is just plain funny. David Hyde Pierce's comedic performance is on point, his dialogue is always sharp, and his chemistry with Daphne really makes you want the two to end up together.
  • CJ Cregg (The West Wing) - Best press secretary ever. Classy, confident, and hilariously snarky, CJ is the best politician in West Wing's cast of idealistically great politicians.
  • Dana Scully (X-Files) - While she deserved better sometimes, Scully's skepticism allowed her to have a very fascinating character arc, and Gillian Anderson's performance managed to sell even the show's worst moments.
  • Burton Guster (Psych) - DulĂ© Hill didn't make a big impression when I saw him in West Wing, but as Gus, his comedic chops are absolutely fantastic. Like 90% of the funniest Psych moments belong exclusively to Gus.
  • Boyd Crowder (Justified) - Walton Goggins acts the hell out of Boyd and his performance alone makes him one of my favorite characters. I'm not even religious but I could listen to this man sermon all day.
  • Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Rebels) - My favorite Star Wars character in the whole franchise, Ahsoka's development throughout these series is fantastic.
  • Princess Carolyn (Bojack Horseman) - Carolyn's struggle to balance work and life is super sympathetic, and all of her focus episodes end up being the best of their respective seasons.
  • Toph and Zuko (Avatar: The Last Airbender) - Both phenomenal characters. Toph is a ton of fun to watch, and Zuko's redemption arc is still the best any character has ever gotten.
  • Catra (She-Ra And The Princesses Of Power) - So complex that I devoted segments in all of my She-Ra reviews to analyzing her character. Easily one of my favorite characters of anything ever.
  • Lake (Infinity Train) - My favorite Infinity Train protagonist, Lake's storyline of figuring out her identity hits me on a personal level. 
  • Lapis Lazuli (Steven Universe) - One of the most realistic depictions of depression I've seen in a character, and her singing voice is stunning.
  • Mio Akiyama (K-On) - All the K-On characters are adorable, but Mio's shyness makes her especially adorable.
  • Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - The "true protagonist" of Madoka Magica, Homura is a fantastic anti-hero with a heartbreaking backstory and you just want the best for her.
  • Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill) - As active of a protagonist as you can possibly get, with a design that just exudes coolness.
  • Sayaka Kanamori (Keep Your Hands Off, Eizouken) - Despite her immense greed, Kanamori's extreme levels of competence, hilarious snark, and genuinely touching backstory makes for a really enjoyable character. Her character design is also super recognizable and unique.
  • Ursula Callistis (Little Witch Academia) - Best teacher ever! I love her dynamic with Akko and how hard she tries to support her.
  • Shima Rin (Laid-Back Camp) - She just like me fr! No but seriously, the way the show depicts her introversion is so respectful and well-done, and I don't think I've ever related to a character this much.
  • Kita Ikuyo (Bocchi The Rock) - Bocchi The Rock has one of the most solid casts to the point where it's damn near impossible to pick a favorite. Should I go with the endlessly relatable Bocchi? Or the hysterical Kikuri? I ended up going with Kita, though, easily the MVP of the show. Her boundless optimism, determination towards supporting the band, and kindness towards Bocchi's situation makes for one of the most lovable characters I've seen. An absolute sweetheart.
  • Setsuna Higashi (Fresh Precure) - One of the best redemption arcs I've ever seen, from struggling with her regrets to discovering what it means to have a family. Far and away the most fascinating Precure character, with a great design and a very precious post-redemption personality. Basically stole Catra's position as my favorite character of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment