Friday, March 12, 2021

FLCL

Oh no, what have I gotten myself into? FLCL is a show unlike anything I have anything I've ever seen. It's chaos, it's fast-paced, it's random, it's ridiculous, but I gotta admit it's also really good?

I usually start my reviews by giving a short synopsis of the show, but I can't really do that for FLCL because it doesn't have a story. The closest thing that I can think of is that a so-called alien girl named Haruko appears and then random stuff happens. That's it. I'd call the show a sketch comedy, but it's not really divided up into sketches either, rather it's a series of random moments of comedy. Oddly enough, it even feels like an abridged series at some points, the cadence is just that similar! The animation style changes on a whim, the dialogue is oddly blunt, and near the end of the first episode, a giant robot appears out of the main protagonist's head because why the hell not?! Yet despite the show being what should otherwise be a convoluted and nearly incomprehensible series of events, there wasn't a single moment when I wasn't enjoying my time watching it, and not even in the so-bad-it's-good kinda way.

The writing in FLCL is surprisingly good. I mentioned how blunt the dialogue is, but I haven't mentioned just how hilarious it is. These characters always speak their mind, which results in some brilliantly snarky writing, especially from Haruko who steals the scene every single time she appears. The somewhat shaky voice acting also adds to the charm, reminding me a lot of the Charlie Brown shorts. I also mentioned the random animation shifts, but they look really cool too! Whether it's a shift to CGI, a black-and-white manga, or even a pixelated visual of a video game, FLCL pulls it off incredibly well. And when the animation is bad (like that goofy rotoscoping in Episode 2), it's usually to add onto the humor. I also love the rock music that plays for the score, it only serves to heighten to the mood. And as crazy as the robot fights are, they're also super badass and visually impressive. And probably the most impressive part is that it was all on purpose.

Halfway through watching FLCL, I had a massive realization that completely shifted my perception of the show. At first, I thought it was just a random anime that was way better than it had any right to be, but then I realized that Haruko is a metaphor for puberty. The way she shoehorns herself into the lead Naota's life, the way she causes a ton of bodily changes (robots, cat ears), and upon realizing this, it felt like all of the pieces finally fit. And yet, FLCL still didn't feel pretentious. Even despite being nearly built entirely around a metaphor, FLCL still feels genuine, it still feels like it was made by a team who wanted to convey their message in as fun a way as possible. The rock music, the constant references, the shifting animation, it helps to differentiate FLCL from any coming of age story I've ever seen. If anything, the sheer scrappiness of all reminds me even more of childhood, as if it's the exact type of show I'd make if I was a kid, crazy action scenes, alien friends, rock music, and all.

In terms of the best episodes, FLCL is incredibly consistent throughout its six episodes in spite of its random nature. However, my favorite episodes were probably the last two. Episode 5 is a fast-paced and relentless series of crazy shootouts and action sequences that culminates in an absolutely bonkers final battle. And Episode 6 is a surprisingly satisfying finale that does its best to explain the show's plot while packing in a really heartwarming conclusion.

This review was a bit of a mess, it's just that hard to write about this show's innate quality without going into full analysis on all of its symbolism and themes (if I did that, then this review would be much longer, trust me). FLCL goes against every rule of what makes good television, yet it somehow is. It's sharply written, well-animated, surprisingly deep, and is just a whole lot of fun! I'm glad I watched FLCL, and it's an experience I'm not going to forget any time soon.

As for the score, it's really hard to give this show a rating because it feels like it's in a league of its own. There's nothing to compare FLCL to because there's nothing quite like FLCL. So you know what? I'll give this show a score of...

FLCL/5 Stars

Favorite Episode: Brittle Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment