Thursday, March 4, 2021

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Anohana's premise is a simple but effective one. It's about a friend group that split up after one of its members (Menma) died, and how five years later, said member returns as a ghost to ask them to reunite and grant her wish. The show follows a bit of a slow build as the friend group slowly reunites, as we learn more about them and their trauma after what happened five years ago. The characters are probably the strongest element of the show (except Yukiatsu, he sucks). There's so much depth to all of them, especially in the way that they dealt with their past trauma, and the pace at which we learn about these characters and their past is consistent and brisk. I also love how the show packs in a ton of simple character interactions between pretty much every member of the cast which helps the viewer learn about their relationships to each other. Not to mention the fact that everyone has their own interesting character arcs that hit their emotional climax in the final episode (which I'll elaborate more on later). Anohana also pretty much nails its tone. It's a near perfect blend of heartwarming and tearjerking, capturing this sense of nostalgia and melancholy. I don't think everyone can relate to what Anohana's cast went through, but I know that most people know what it feels to have a past friend group slowly and painfully fracture. And the theme of coping with a loved one's death is one I'm sure many can empathize with. The show also makes sure to add some levity and humor at times, packing in some of the funniest video game references I've seen pretty much ever. 

However, there are a few aspects of Anohana that I'm not personally a big fan of. First of all, I don't love the insanely complicated tangled web of crushes that the characters have for each other. I wouldn't say it's bad or anything, it's actually fairly well-done, I just feel it's a bit too convoluted for my tastes. A bigger gripe I have, however, is that Menma's nature as a ghost is a bit inconsistent. She can interact with objects and other people, but she never uses that to her advantage and reveal herself until Episode 8. She eats food normally and her teardrops mark the floor, but no one notices.  I usually don't let this kind of stuff bother me, but so many of the show's conflicts are built off of this misunderstanding. Even more, the show becomes so much better once this is all resolved. I feel like the show slowly improves with every episode, but Episodes 8-11 are particularly special. Episode 11, in particular, is an emotional powerhouse that manages to tie everyone's character arcs and end the series on a satisfying and bittersweet note. I think that a strong ending can make a great show even better (see 30 Rock) and this is a great example of that.

In terms of presentation, Anohana does a pretty great job. The animation is incredibly well-done, with bright colors, lush backgrounds, and recognizable character designs. I really like how the colors darken and shift for some of the darker flashbacks, and how static cuts are used when things get really grim. I also think the OP and ED sequences are absolutely stunning and some of the most visually striking I've seen yet. The voice acting was also top-notch all around, with everyone nailing the more emotional moments. Menma's voice actress was easily the highlight, though, she did a really good job. The background music isn't the best I've heard in an anime (though that is an incredibly high bar), but the series of piano riffs used did a good job of setting the tone.

Some of the highest points in the show for me were:

I Wonder (Episode 8): Finally! Menma makes herself known to everyone by writing in her diary and dropping it. But while that's definitely the most noteworthy part of the episode, I Wonder is packed with emotionally impactful moments. The reveal of just how messed up Menma's family has gotten, Anaru confessing her feelings to Jintan, Jintan visiting his mother, it's all one big gut punch of an episode that serves as a big turning point of Anohana.

Fireworks (Episode 10): I like this episode's slow build as most of the group thinks of whether they're ready to say goodbye to Menma, and the scene with the fireworks was absolutely beautiful. I gotta admit, I was surprised that Menma didn't disappear after the fireworks, they were building up to it to such a degree!

The Flower Blooming On That Summer (Episode 11): Most of the show was pretty solid. The final episode, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning. It's an absolute emotional rollercoaster of a finale, but a rewarding one as we finally get to see the Super Peace Busters be honest with each other and work out their grief together. Menma disappeared as I expected, but the final scene where everyone gets a chance to say goodbye was just amazing. Everyone seems to get a fairly happy ending, thankfully, but I'm not gonna say that this episode wasn't absolutely intense.

Overall, Anohana is a pretty great anime with excellent characters, a strong tone, and an absolutely phenomenal ending. I may not be a fan of some of its plot decisions, but it leaves an incredibly strong emotional impact regardless.

4/5 Stars

Favorite Episode: The Flower Blooming On That Summer


P.S. (minor Omori spoilers)

It feels like this was literally the perfect show to watch after seeing Omori because I saw a hell of a lot of parallels in the story, characters, and themes (not that it's a bad thing, both stories are great, though Omori is far more disturbed than this one). I wonder if OMOCAT got some inspiration from Anohana?

No comments:

Post a Comment